Students at the M.J.C. East Campus

Get Started at MJC

Step 1: Apply Online
Step 2: Set up your MJC Email 
Step 3: College Orientation 
Step 4: Assessment Testing 
Step 5: Education Plan
Step 6: Official Transcripts
Step 7: Apply for Financial Aid
Step 8: Register for Classes
Step 9: Pay Fees

Need help?

Contact the friendly Admissions Office staff if you have questions about adding or dropping classes, or filing for pass/no pass.

The Assessment Testing Office administers tests to help you select appropriate courses or satisfy pre-requisites.

International students should start by visiting our Information for International Students.

Modesto Junior College

Advance Parole

What Is Advance Parole?

Advance Parole is granted permission from USCIS to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. This is only granted to individuals without U.S. permanent residency. Advance Parole can be applicable for Dreamers with a DACA status.

Who is eligible for advance parole?

Dreamers who were granted DACA are eligible for Advance Parole.

How can I be granted Advance Parole?

First you will need to apply. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is what you will need to fill out, which can be found on the USCIS website. There is a fee of $360 to process your application. There are special instructions listed on the website that should be followed. Keep in mind that USCIS will only grant Advance Parole for three purposes: humanitarian purposes, educational purposes, and employment purposes.

Are there any risks involved in being granted Advance Parole?

Yes. The USCIS website states, “although Advance Parole may allow you to return to the United States, your departure may trigger the 3 or 10-year bar, if you accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence before the date you were considered to be in a period of authorized stay.” Also, it has been stated at the United We Dream National Press Conference by Crystal Williams, executive director of the American Immigration Lawyers Association that leaving the country might affect Dreamers in the future when they try to adjust their status, through marriage for example.

Does Advance Parole guarantee a return to the U.S.?

No. Advance Parole gives you the ability to request to come back to the U.S. but does not guarantee that it will let you back in. Please be aware that you may lose your opportunity to gain U.S. Permanent Residency or Citizenship status if you were not physically present in the U.S. at the time of the announcement, if a reform is passed.

How long would I have to wait for my application to be processed?

Processing time is approximately 90 days. This also depends on the USCIS office location.

Are there extra steps I should take if I plan to travel to more than one country within my travel time?

Yes. Traveling to more than one country within your travel time on your application requires only one application. This can happen if you are part of a research project for your school, for instance. Some research projects abroad require students to travel to more than one country in one trip. You will have to follow any visa requirements for all countries you plan to visit.

I am traveling to my country of origin, what documents do I need to take with me?

If you are traveling to your country of origin, you must take a passport from that country that is valid for six months after the date of travel.

I am traveling to a place that is not my country of origin, what documents should I take with me?

If you are traveling to a country that is not your own, you must follow any visa requirements of that country as they would require from any person with your nationality. If you need additional assistance with the visa requirements, please visit the consulate website for your destination country or talk to your attorney.

How long can Advance Parole be approved for?

Advance Parole can be valid for up to a year.