Drop FAQ during COVID-19

Q: Can I withdraw from a class without receiving a W on my transcript?
A: Yes, you can receive an EW (Excused Withdrawal), it is a withdrawal due to extraordinary circumstances. The EW does not calculate into GPA calculation, progress probation or dismissal calculations.

The EW will be available to students who have withdrawn after March 4, 2020.

Q: How do I withdraw from a class?
A: You can drop online through PiratesNet until April 4, 2020. Students are encouraged to speak with their instructor about dropping the course. Your instructor can also drop you with an EW at the end of the Spring term.

Q: Will I receive a refund?
A: If you dropped between March 4, 2020 - April 4, 2020, you are eligible for a refund. To receive a refund, please submit an "Online Refund Request Form", available on PiratesNet. If you receive a California College Promise Grant (fee waiver) or other type of waiver, you will not receive a refund.

Q: How long will it take to receive my refund?
A: Refunds will take 4-6 weeks to process.

Q: If I receive an EW, will it affect my financial aid?
A: If you received Federal aid (Pell grant, SEOG, Direct loans) and/or State aid, withdrawing from Spring 2020 will not affect your eligibility or count for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Q: If I receive an EW, will I have to return my financial aid funds?
A: For more financial aid information related to withdrawing from classes you can email mjc_finaid@mjc.edu.

Q: Will the EW count as an attempt of the course?
A: No – this will not count as an attempt. You can retake the course without any issues.

Q: What if I already withdrew from my course and there is a W on my transcript?
A: Students who withdrew after March 4, 2020, will automatically receive an EW.

Please allow 2-3 weeks after the spring term ends to see the change on your transcript. Please contact the Enrollment Services office at mjcadmission@mjc.edu if you have questions about your transcript.