Online Faculty Resources
To log in to Canvas, select the Canvas icon at the upper right of this webpage. Then log in with your MJC email address and password.
- Canvas Shortcuts (a quick "how-to" list)
- Canvas Instructor guides
- Copying a Canvas Course
- Combining Canvas Sections
Creating Course Content
- Self-paced "How To Use Canvas" course includes information on the following topics:
- Navigating Canvas
- Course Organization
- Creating Weekly Modules
- Creating Pages
- Adding Handouts/Files to Canvas
- Creating Discussions, Assignments, and Quizzes
- Creating Announcements
- Canvas "Course Introduction" & "Open Discussions" modules for MJC (most courses should have these pre-installed. Sandboxes will not include these modules.)
- Request a Sandbox Shell. Anyone needing a "sandbox" Canvas shell for experimentation purposes should use the link below. Sandbox shells are never populated with students, but the content can be easily copied to a "real" production shell. This form is for MJC faculty only. Request a Development Shell
Grading in Canvas
Canvas is very "Googleable." If you don't see what you need here, search for it online and you will likely find what you're looking for.
ConferZoom (Zoom) is paid for by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office, which means it’s free for faculty and staff. Students can click on a link to join your meeting (they do not need to register).
- ConferZoom Video Conferencing in Canvas
- MJC ConferZoom YouTube Playlist
- Transferring Zoom Recordings for Long-Term Storage
How to Open a ConferZoom Account
- Go to conferzoom.org and click on the “Sign Up” button
- Fill out the form. Under “organization,” type in Modesto Junior College
- Under email, use your @yosemite.edu account
- Check your email for your receipt. (This may take up to 72 hours. You may need to check spam and clutter.)
- Your ConferZoom account is ready to use!
Cool Tools for Canvas
- Cool Tools for Canvas is a resource shell for faculty at MJC and includes information on the following
- Online Education Workshop recordings
- Canvas quick tips and shortcuts
- Accessibility Resources
- Creating videos, screencasts, and screenshots
- Video quizzes and discussions
- Proctoring and plagiarism tools
- Embedding films, Bitmoji, polls, and word clouds in Canvas
- Sharing files online
Guidance and Resources for Online Teaching
- MJC Online Education Committee
- Guidance for Webcams in Synchronous Online Classes
- CVC-OEI Course Design Rubric
- Captioning Options for Faculty
- Accommodations and Support Center Resources for Faculty
- You can enroll in these self-paced resource courses at anytime.
Regular and Substantive Interaction (formerly REC)
- REC Guidelines
- REC at MJC. See MJC instructor examples of REC in their courses.
Open Education Resources (OER)
- The @One Certification Course will teach you course design skills, show you how to improve your student success and retention rates, and give you tips and tricks for making the most of our learning management system and new media.
- The Vision Resource Center offers online trainings on a variety of topics.
- Log in with your YCCD email address
- Select "Browse Training"
- Browse all trainings or search by topic.
Important Publications and Documentation
- Adobe Creative Cloud is available for all faculty and staff.
- Access free online Adobe trainings from the California Community Colleges Vision Resource Center.
- College Buys is sponsored by the Foundation for California Community Colleges and offers steeply discounted software for students and faculty.