AB 540

What is it?

  • AB 540 authorizes any student, including undocumented students who meet the criteria, to pay in-state tuition at California public colleges and universities (10/12/01)

Who is eligible?

  • Must have attended a California high school for 3 or more years (doesn't need to be consecutive)
  • Must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma
  • Must have registered or currently be enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California
  • Must have filed or will file an affidavit as required by the institution stating that they will apply for legal residency as soon as possible
  • Must not be a non-immigrant holding a valid lettered non-immigrant visa

What is the process?

  • Complete the appropriate AB540 affidavit at the proposed or current institution

Addendum to AB540 –Submit this form along with the AB 540 form and official in-progress transcripts if you are a high school senior in order to be temporarily given in-state tuition status for enrollment tuition purposes. IMPORTANT: You are required to provide Enrollment Services with a final high school transcript no later than 2 weeks from the date of graduation listed on your form and that a block will be placed on your account until receipt of the final official high school transcript is received.

Download AB 540 here


Senate Bill 68 was signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown and will take effect in January of 2018. This is an expansion of AB540 that will count community college and adult school years in establishing the nonresident tuition exemption. For more information click here.

Recent Additions to Nonresident Tuition Exemptions (1/30/2018)