Cal Dream Act
What is it?
- The California Dream Act allows students who meet certain requirements to apply for and receive state financial aid at California public and private colleges and private scholarships administered by California public colleges including: eligibility for assistance from EOPS, CARE and Calworks; BOG Fee Waivers, and Cal Grants
Who is eligible?
- Attended a California high school for a minimum of three years and is considered to be AB540
- Graduated from a California high school or passed the California High School Prificiency Exam (CHSPE) or got a General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Enrolled in a accredited and qualified California college or university
- Filled out an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as elegible
What is the process?
- Apply at dream.csac.ca.gov/ by March 2 each year. This is very important. If you are late, you will not be eligible for a Cal Grant that year.
- Check with the financial aid office of the school you will be attending the next academic year for further details or requirements
- Submit a verified GPA form by the Cal Grant March 2 deadline (your college or high school may submit this electronically or you will have to mail it in)
- Do use your DACA social security number for your application. If you don't have a social security number simply put 000-00-0000.
What is the California DREAM Loan Program?
The California DREAM Loan Program provides eligible undocumented AB 540 undergraduates with the option to borrow loans to help cover the cost of attending a UC through filing the California Dream Act application. There are no separate forms required to apply for the California DREAM Loan Program, but you'll need to apply for financial aid every year to be considered for the DREAM Loan Program.
Please click the following link for details: http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/paying-for-uc/whats-available/dream-loan-program/index.html
For more information please visit these websites
- Information about the California Dream Act provided by California Student Aid Commission. Includes Cal Dream Act worksheet, application instructions, and Cal Dream Act Online Application and PDF to print out.http://www.csac.ca.gov/dream_act.asp
- Information on how the Cal Dream Act can help pay for Universities of California.http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/paying-for-uc/financial-aid/dream/index.html
- This website helps you determined if you are eligible for DACA and news updates for Dreamers. http://www.weownthedream.org
- This website provides updates regarding DACA, politics, etc. for dreamers.http://www.cadreamnetwork.org