Volunteer Opportunities Available
Did you know the Great Valley Museum (GVM) cannot operate without the support of amazing volunteers like you? Volunteering with the museum gives you the opportunity to work with the public, have a great time, meet others who are also passionate about natural history, science and supporting a fabulous local non-profit organization. Museum volunteering is ideal for retirees, students, teachers or anyone who enjoys the reward of being part of something bigger.
The museum is open to the public 5 days out of the week but volunteers can be utilized any day of the week. Our volunteers work individually or in groups performing a variety of duties throughout the museum. If you are interested in becoming a Docent we invite you to attend one of our monthly volunteer orientations to receive a general overview of the GVM Docent program. All those who have attended orientation are then invited complete a 3-day training session, fill out a volunteer packet and be Live Scanned (fingerprinted/background check). Live Scan costs are the volunteers responsibility and are performed after the training session. All volunteers receive an initial one free year individual museum membership upon completion of their live-scan.
Our docents must provide a minimum of 3 volunteer hours (one gallery shift) a month and a minimum of 48 hours a year. There are two main areas in which our docents assist: those who work in the gallery and attend various events (Gallery) and those who conduct group tours (Tours). Gallery work consists of a wide range of essential operational and foundation services within the museum. Their main focus is in gallery help but can work side-by-side with staff in marketing, handle phone inquiries, staffing the Nature Shop, animal care, and various other tasks. Tours require our docents to engage visitors by conducting tours for schools and other groups through the museum. Animal and Science On a Sphere presentation training is also available.
How do I get Started?
- The first step is to visit the museum!
- Have a chat with the museum staff in order to be see where you will best fit in at the museum.
- Sign up for the next docent orientation on our SignUpGenius website HERE. Volunteer orientations are held on the last Friday of every month from 1-2pm.
- After attending a monthly orientation, sign up for the next bi-yearly trainings. You can do that HERE. Volunteer trainings are held in August and February each year.
- Fill out the application packet and bring with you to the first day of training. You can print an application packet from HERE. *Do not have fingerprinting done until after the training.
- Attend all three days of docent training.
- Schedule time to share your love our local natural history and science with the community!